Sunday, September 16, 2007

Human Auditory System: Ability to listen to two things at once is inherited

Researchers at the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) have found evidence that the ability to listen to listen to and comprehend two things at once was mostly an inherited skill.  

On a personal level, I have known for a long time that my wife can do this while I can not, and assumed that there might be a gender-based component to the cause.  Hmm... Might be time for a re-think of that hypothesis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're comment on the possibility of women being able to do this better than men makes sense to me. Women tend to have better skills at communication in the forms of speech and listening, which is why the majority of workers in those fields are women. Since this evidence does show the inheritance of comprehension of two things at once, it would not surprise me that it is possibly on a gene that most women get--similar to male patterned baldness--I do not, however, have any other information about that.

I really appreciate the things you put on this blog because they really make me think and stay up to date on stories. Thanks!!