Saturday, March 06, 2010

Science Education: Popular Science Magazine puts entire archive online for free viewing

As a kid growing up in the USA in the 70's, I spent a lot of time in my local public library reading everything I could get my hands on.  When it came to science and technology magazines, I remember reading every single Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Scientific American as soon as it came in. Of course, a lot of what was in Scientific American was written above my academic level, but with each issue I read I got a little further into each article before I was lost- over time I gave myself a pretty good science education that way. (Aside: of course, that was before Scientific American became so politicized, but I can expound upon the politicization of science and science journalism another day...).

This trip down Memory Lane has a pleasant destination - Popular Science Magazine has put its entire archive of back issues - complete with period advertisements- online for free viewing.  The archive is even searchable using Google's technology.  Very cool, in a geeky sort of way (yes, I was a geek before geeks became cool).

Enjoy!

No comments: